Uses For Wands, Athames and Ritual Swords

Can't get your head around something? Google not bringing up the spell you need? Ask the community.

Moderator: Courtier

Scottish_Pride
Respected
Zodiac:

Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:27 pm

I’m interested to hear what y’all actually use them for, because I’ve read a lot of different things. I personally have always been pretty bare-bones and used my hands, so I don’t have any relevant experience to draw upon. Would love to get into it, though.
Dusk
Established

Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:42 am

Wands and athames are big parts of contemporary western ceremonial magic paradigms (in which athames function often as ritual "swords"). There's a lot of variance, a lot of symbolism and a multifarious fuckload of uses.
Don't make me put my wizard shit on. I still mean fucking business when I've got my wizard shit on.
Shinichi
Accepted
Zodiac:

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:28 am

Proper enchanted blades, because they have soul too, can cut into spirits just the same as they can cut into flesh. Likewise, they can also cut open wounds in the human soul, but unless you’re trying to kill someone you probably don’t wanna so that. In Daoist Sword Magic though, there’s even a technique to cut the cord of energy and fate that ties the human soul to a body, so it’s possible for supreme master’s to kill just by waving their sword even from miles away.

At that, they can also be used for the more typical “cord cutting” of traditional witchcraft and modern psychic arts.

Basically, anything that you want to cut in this world or another, can be cut by a fully enchanted blade...with understanding that spirits also have armor sometimes, and may have more sword skill than you. :P

~:Shin:~
Grace White
Respected

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:53 am

Shin does a blade need to be enchanted up from the manufacturing point or can it be enchanted by yourself as an already finished project? If you can do both, is one enchanted at the manufacturing stage stronger?
Shinichi
Accepted
Zodiac:

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:06 am

Depends on the craftsman and the enchanter. With enough time and resources and a big enough ritual, I can enchant even a plastic blade. And compared to cheap steel from a bad craftsman or a factory, that plastic blade won’t necessarily be much inferior, at least until it has to confront a real steel blade. :p

A blade of Living Steel or something like Scotty is getting from her family is definitely stronger, though.

Enchantment, though it largely requires a master enchanter to really show good magic, is also something that largely depends on the quality of materials. Same as how a well made blade can cut through a factory blade like butter, the same can be said of their enchantments. As above, so below, and all that.

~:Shin:~
Maeve104
Established

Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:16 am

Idk if it's just because of a personal association with directing energy in working with horses, but I find that a wand, just like a dressage or lunge whip, helps me focus energy. Not that I can't with just my hands, but it makes it easier with a wand. (Wand can literally be a stick or a pencil).
Scottish_Pride
Respected
Zodiac:

Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:36 pm

Maeve104 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:16 am
Idk if it's just because of a personal association with directing energy in working with horses, but I find that a wand, just like a dressage or lunge whip, helps me focus energy. Not that I can't with just my hands, but it makes it easier with a wand. (Wand can literally be a stick or a pencil).
Wait, so you can use a wand to control animals?